6:58 PM
0
Retired Jean Brooks has revealed the heart-rending reason why she challenges drivers as video gets up to 12 million views in less than 24 hours.


A worried mother went viral and got more than 12 million views by using her hairdryer as a speed camera to scare speeding drivers.

Retired Jean Brooks has definitely won the nation’s heart with her genius way of stopping the speeders.

The 64-year-old stands on her front garden and uses a hairdryer as a fake speed gun. She points the hairdryer at cars as they drive past.

She says drivers often slow down, for fear they might be caught speeding.

A video of her in action, taken by the BBC after she rang in to one of their radio shows, has now gone viral.


Ms Brooks told the Nottingham Post how it all began following a close family tragedy.

After the death of her son-in-law, Jean threw herself into fundraising for Marie Curie Cancer Care, creating a cafe in the front garden of her home in St Mary’s Way, Hucknall.

It was while she spent her days in her garden that she noticed cars were often speeding up and down the road.

She said: “I remembered a friend told me about something she had heard of in France.



“Someone got their hairdryer and pointed it at the cars and they slowed down. So I thought I’ll do that.”


Cars now slow down on the road she says. They confusw her hairdryer for a handheld speed camera. But, she has also brought the community closer together.

She gained notoriety after a contacting BBC Radio Nottingham, who promptly filmed her armed with the “speed gun”. In less than 24 hours, the video had more than 12 million views.

She said: “I was listening to the radio and they were talking about these kids who were riding around on bikes.


“They asked if anyone had got a solution for it. I phoned up and said ‘I’ve sorted it – I use my hairdryer’.

“This street is the main road onto the estate so it is busy, and it’s also a school drop off point. They come up on their scooters and quadbikes showing off to the sixth form girls, acting like a male bird of paradise.


“It’s all, ‘look no hands’ but it will soon be ‘look, no teeth’.

“One of my daughters called me up and said I’d gone viral. I thought ‘I don’t have a virus’ but she told me what she meant. My grieving daughter has seen it and it made her laugh.

“I’ve made my road safer for kids and I’ve made my grieving daughter smile. You can’t put a price on that.”

 source : demyos