Before she died, she strapped her baby in a carseat and threw it out the window. The people who found it were left speechless.
"She was making her mark in town," said the town's mayor. But on January 30 — only one day after her 21st birthday — tragedy struck. Shelby was at home with her daughter when a fire broke out. She called 911 for help and told them that she was having trouble breathing. She hadn't said anything about her child which led to some confusion when firefighters finally reached the scene.
Emergency responders found Shelby on the second floor of the house, but it was too late — she had died of carbon monoxide poisoning. But when they finally put out the flames and surveyed the scene, they found something truly astonishing: Shelby's 12-day-old daughter! What had happened?
Keana Davis will never have the chance to know her mother, but at least she can be proud of her. Shelby is a true hero and will be dearly remembered by her community for many years to come. What a wonderful response that their neighbors banded together to help them rebuild their lives as they come to terms with their loss.